Saturday, August 5


48. St. Paulie Girl (USA)
49. Pumpkinhead Ale (USA)
50. Heineken Light (Holland)

We visited our friends Mark and Becky up in Maine to celebrate Mark's successful return from his overseas deployment. I brought up a six pack of St. Paulie Girl, who can't trust big busted beer maiden to serve you a delicious beer. You would never buy a beer whose logo was a flat chested woman. But I digress.

After we arrive in Maine, Mark, Kelvin, one of Mark's college friends Elizabeth and I drove over to the supermarket. We picked up some national beers like Heineken Light, Guinness, Miller Light, and Bud Light along with some malt style drinks (Twisted Tea - Smirnoff coolers). We also got a local beer called Pumpkinhead ale. Grabbed some ice and headed back, we filled up the cooler with the beers and soda, ice and then stated pouring in salted water. Within a few minutes we had ice cold brews. A side note the next morning we still had ice cold drinks and ice floating in the cooler.

Yes the bottles were a little salty, but we had a rag to wipe them down so no worries. The first beer I drank as St. Paulie Girl, it was a nice hearty beer. But it went down really smooth. I am glad I went for this one first, since all six were quickly gone from the cooler.

We ate and then I had a Pumkinhead Ale. Wow was this beer the surprise hit of the party. For starters when you smelled this almost orange colored beer, it had the distinct smell of pumpkin spices. It was like a pumpkin pie. It was awesome. The beer itself was unremarkable (though good) but the aroma was so great. Unlike other beers that have had strong other smells this one is not something that I could see people getting sick of. Perhaps when I go up to New Hampshire in a few weeks, I'll pick some of these up for Thanksgiving.


A little later, I reached a milestone and hit the halfway point in my journey. I drank beer number 50, Heineken Light. I really like Heineken, but Heineken light is so tasteless. Dave once told me about a place where they track the beers that you drink, and its tradition to have a loser at your milestones. Well mission accomplished.

There were never any of the beers I hadn't drunk cold at a time when I wanted a beer, so I didn't drink anymore while I was up there. I would have loved a Bud Light at 7am. But alas.

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Isnt Heineken Light made in Holland?

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Niel said...

It might be, I have to check up on that ...

NIEL VUOLO... KING OF INCORRECT FACTS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home